Saturday, April 21, 2012

Love at a 7-11

This past week I reconnected with my mother's side of the family due to the unfortunate and untimely passing of one of my uncles. I had not been with this side in over 11 years and to say much has changed is rather an understatement. I felt like the young prodigal coming home. So much of my mom's family are interconnected through marriages, births, deaths and divorces. I was happy to see them though the reason was sour. I was happy to hear their stories and their struggles and it brought me to the idea of poems for the stories I had heard. The following poem is for my cousin Lenny and his second wife Susan.


                                                             Love at a 7-11

Hi" was all he would say 
  as he went by the way.
 He so happily volunteered 
 for things that were needed.
 with wanting interest
and so came more trips 
 for little here and there.
                                                      
                                                     
"Are you just gonna say hi?"
was the question she asked.
Many trips later she would try
"Are you gonna ask me out?"
 Indeed there was love on her mind
 more than simple dating did sprout.

 Love at a 7-11 he did find 
 after all the shy glances 
and smiles did deliver.
Love at a 7-11
was serving 2 extra kids for dinner.
4 and no more was the answer
to my question
of their love and affection.


                                                      

                                                   

No comments: